Wednesday, April 13, 2016
There were 5 ladies putting their name forward for this pattern. Ann Watts is the lucky one.
Ann, would you please let me know your address then I will put it in the mail tomorrow. You can reach me at the email address isedl at yahoo dot com.
Monday, April 11, 2016
My mistake can be your luck: I bought this pattern and it is a petite size, which I definitely am not. If you would like to have it just leave a comment. The pattern is unopened, still in the original plastic bag. If more than one person is interested, I’ll do a draw on Wednesday.
Saturday, April 2, 2016
Recently at a sewing get together one of my friends was wearing trousers made using Vogue 1417. She told me that the instructions for the pocket were great as there was not a single unfinished edge to be seen after contstruction.
I liked the pattern and am currently working on it and my friend was so right. The draft of the pocket and facings and the instructions are wonderful. Haven’t seen this construction before and love it. In a time there’s a lot being said about lacking instructions this is definitely an example of a pattern well drafted and very good instructions. Of course I’m doing a few things my way, using a woven instead of a stretch. But I did not change a thing to the pockets…
Monday, March 28, 2016
Pictures of the finished skirt have to wait. I want to hem my skirt with “steam a seam” tape but forgot to buy it and as most of my fabrics and notions are in storage, I had none available at all. So I spent my weekend sewing two t-shirts. The pattern is the Ann T-top from StyleArc:
I’ve made this pattern several times now and it’s a great basic. After the initial one last year (never blogged about as far as I remember) I removed the gathers in the front by folding up at waist level.
Until recently I used an old Ottobre pattern from 2007 as my base for t-shirts, which is still a great pattern. But, as you can guess, it’s in storage (by accident though).
The neckline and hems of both t-shirts were finished with a coverstitch.
I’ve had a love/hate relationship with my Janome coverstitch for quite a long time, but have become used to it and now it’s taken out and used regularly. For a long time I did not use it properly either and on the inside you could see the edge of the hem stick out above the stitches. Recently I saw a tip about how to make the finishing on the inside neat. Looks good doesn’t it?
What I did was
- Measure and press the hem at an exact distance (a sewing gauge will help)
- Baste the hem at the very edge of the hem. I preferred hand basting but the tip I saw used long, straight machine stitches. I found those more difficult to remove afterwards when I made a sample.
- Stitch while guiding your foot over the basted line
- Carefully remove the basting thread.
I did this both for the hem of the body as for the sleeves and it works like a charm. It might be a bit more work, but the result is much better.
Sunday, March 20, 2016
Just wanted to show you where I got with this skirt. All that’s left to do is the inside waistband, lining and hemming. The fabric is a kind of faux suede you see a lot here at the moment in all kind of colors. My fabric is a greyish brown, I had expected it to be more grey than it actually is. The downside of buying online.
The wrong side of it feels uncomfortable and sticks to your skin. So anti-static lining is necessary. I
might will re-do the zipper as I’m not satisfied with it.
Sunday, March 13, 2016
It was good to step back from the draft for a day or so. This is the basic draft in my skirt block. Because there is more width to be covered than in the original pattern, I realized that I had to change the back if I wanted the center back panel more or less as narrow as the original. I had already made the panels a bit wider, but on the back that was not enough.
The dotted line in the back indicate where I started to move out the pattern pieces to create the fullnes in the back. Also a lot of notches to make sure I know which parts belong together.
This is an original pattern piece for the back.
Below pictures of how I created this on my pattern:
I traced the top part to the dotted line (in my block these are the pattern pieces marked 5 and 6). On a separate piece of paper I traced the bottom part, have drawn lines in it and spread the four pieces I now had.
The corner was curved to get a smooth transition.
The final pattern piece.
For the waistband I closed the darts. The back waisband is curved and the length of the darts were not exactly the same any more.
Here I trued the lines, adding a bit at the top, taking away a bit from the bottom. To make sure the waistband is even, I checked the line of the center back and the lenght of the lines where the darts were. There was one line I had to adjust a little.
I’ve cut out the skirt and plan to do some sewing tonight. I’m very excited to see whether this works as I see it in my head.
Thursday, March 10, 2016
I traced the pattern in the size based on my hip measurements. When I checked the circumference I was a little shocked to see so much "negative ease" there was. The skirt is intended to be made from a fabric with stretch, but it would be a lot of stretch for me and my hips are wide enough without stretching fabric over them.
So: back to the drawing board, literally (almost, it was the floor, looking forward to a bit more space).
My creative space, a mess! Original pattern pieces, my skirt block with lines drawn into it. The worst part is not captured in the photo ;).