Sunday, November 20, 2016

Separate button placket – coat

I’m steadily working on my coat. I remembered something to be aware of for those who have ordered this pattern: check the position of the pocket markings in the front pattern pieces. For me they were fine, but my friend is shorter and the position of the pockets was very low (lower than her hands).

The button placket is sewn to the facing separately, creating an invisible button closure. As I mentioned in my post the other day the Lekala instructions are not very good, to say it mildly. This is the way I did them.

In the pattern the placket is cut from lining only. I chose to have one layer of lining, one of the coat fabric.

DSC_2192DSC_2193

From the facing pattern I marked the seamline and the top button hole with tailors chalk.

DSC_2194

Placed the placket on the facing to mark the position. Then folded the zigzagged edge under and pinned it in place.

DSC_2195

Sewed it from the lining side to the facing and pressed towards the front.

DSC_2197

I stitched the long edge and the space between the buttons. Writing this down now I do realise that I still have to stitch a line at the center from the right side of the coat, so that it might have been better not to do that yet. Also I had to undo a bit of the stitching between the buttons when I topstitched the edge of the coat.
For me a lesson to remember for the next time I do it like this: do the stitching between the buttonholes after the facing is inserted and the topstitching is done.

DSC_2198DSC_2199

3 comments:

  1. Nice, directly saved to my tips on Pinterest ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely detail to the coat and I love your lining - such a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always interesting with sparse directions how we tend to do what we think is right, to find out that we have stitched when we shouldn't have, I did this a number of times on my trench coat as well.

    ReplyDelete